Wednesday 11 November 2009

Interview Questions

Why should we hire you?
Because I am a hard-working person. I am a quick learner. I can think on my feet. I can work independantly and under pressure. I also have the qualifications that you ask for. I am totally reliable and I have done the training required for the job. I am also passionate about this job.

What do you know about our company?
It is a rapidly growing company. You have branches overseas in China and Vietnam too. You treat your employees very well and you give them a chance to take initiatives. I am also aware of the range of products that you manufacture.

Why have you applied for this job?
I have got the training to do this job and this is something that I really want to do. I also have to earn a living in Australia.

Do you know anyone who works at our company?
No, unfortunately I don't know anyone here but I would like to make as many friends as I can in the future if I get the job.

What kind of people do you normally like to work with?
I like working with people who are friendly and are willing to share their experiences.

What kind of people do you find it most difficult to work with?
I do't like working with people who are arrogant or those who think that they know everything and others know nothing.

What are some things you'd like to avoid in a job?
I would avoid discussing politics and religion at work.

In your previous job, what kind of pressures did you have?
Meeting deadlines and having to do too much work in a short time. Sometimes it was not humanly possible to do what the boss wanted but we could not argue with him. He was the business owner.

What are some of the things about which you and your supervisor might disagree on?
My boss sometimes asked me to do work that was supposed to be done by another qualified person and refused to pay me for the service. He said I had the training but it was not accredited in Australia and that is why he wouldn't pay me for the work I did. He was using me.

What do you think of your previous supervisor?
He was a good person. He was always sharing his knowledge and showing me things. He was friendly but very strict.

How do you feel your boss rated your work performance?
I think he liked my work very much. I always came to work on time and was punctual. I worked hard and I did all I could to finish all the tasks given to me. I always came up with new ideas and he liked that very much. He knew that I could work independently and in a group and I was alwyas reliable. I think he can tell you more about my work if you ring him.

What were some of the things he indicated you could improve on?
He said that I should work on improving my English and learn more computer skills. He recommened that I go to TAFE and do a course there but I found it difficult because I didn't have a car and I had a family to look after.

What is the most difficult part of your previous job?
Working with people who thought that because I came from another country I was not as smart as they were. They also thought that the education that I had overseas was not good enough. They started to change their minds when they saw me working and coming up with all these new ideas. They were amazed.

How do you handle conflict with co-workers?
By negotiations. The only way to resolve a conflict is to talk to people and try to make them understand what you want to say.

In what area do you think you need to develop yourself to be ready for this position?
I need to learn more about using technology and the internet. This will help me in my work.

What are your salary expectations?
I want to have a fair salary. I don't ask for a big salary. I just want a fair one.

Of all the positions you have held, which did you like the least? Why?
I had three jobs in China when I was living there but I liked my last job most. I had a chance to use my skills and share ideas with other people and we worked like a family. It was good social life too.

Of all the positions you have held, which did you like the most? Why?
My first job was the worst. The people I worked with were unfriendly. They never cared about teaching me anything and all the things I learned on the job I had to learn by myself.

Are you flexible?
Yes, I am totally flexible. I can work overtime if you want me to. I can also work on the weekend any time.

Where do you see yourself in five years’ time from now?
I will be working in your company if I get the job. Maybe in a higher position I hope.

Have you ever been fired or asked to leave your work?
I have never been sacked before. In fact when I left my last job before I came to Australia everyone was sad. We worked in a big team and we were like a family. My boss was very satisfied with my performance at work and he even offered me more money to stay but I decided to immigrate to Australia.

Tell me about the time you had a conflict with your boss. How did you handle it?
I told my boss one day that he shouldn't have given a task to someone to do because that person was not qualified to do it. The boss thought he could save a lot of money by getting someone from the factory to do some electrical wiring and not hire a qualified electrician. The boss was wrong. He put the life of the worker in danger. The boss thought the worker could do the job and he could save the money. I talked to the boss and he finally agreed to hire an electrician after I told him the unqualified worker can damage the expensive machine he was working on.

Will you be able to provide me the names of your supervisors for each of the positions listed on your resume, and will I have your permission to call them?
Yes, of course. The names are provided on my CV and you can call those people any time.

What do you think your friends will tell me about you?
I think they will say that I am honest. I like helping people. I am also a good friend and a nice person.

What else would you like to tell me about yourself that you haven't had a chance to tell me?
I really look forward to working at your company. I can be an assit for your company. I need to get a job to support my family here and share the experience I have with everybody else.

Are you considering going back to study in the near future?
I want to do a TAFE course but I will be studying part-time in the evening. I want to update my computer and work skills.