Saturday 5 June 2010

Make and Do

The verbs "make" and "do" are used in many sentences. Students always make mistakes when they use them. Make and do are used a lot but because students always think in their first language, they confuse them.

Let's start with verb "Make". Look at the following:

- make a mistakes
  How many mistakes did you make in your last maths exam?
  I made three mistakes because I didn't read the questions well.
- make the bed
  In the morning I get up early and make my bed.
- make an appointment
  I made an appointment to see the doctor.
- make an effort
  I made an effort to finish my study in time.
- make plans
  I made a plan to study and work at the same time.
  I made a plan to get a job and buy a house in three years.
- make a decision
  You have to tell your boss if you'll take the job in the new branch or not. You have to make a decision quickly.
- make a phone call
  I asked my friend if I could use his phone to make a call.
- make noise
  The children made a lot of noise and I couldn't sleep.
- make an excuse
  He never does his homework. He makes an excuse every time.
- make up his mind
  After he thought for a few days, he made up his mind to accept the job.
- make a mess
  He threw his books everywhere in the room and made a mess.
- make tea/coffee
  Would you like me to make you a cup of coffee?
  I make coffee when I prepare my breakfast.

Now let's have a look on verb "do".

- do my best
  I studied very hard and did my best to pass the test.
- do harm
  If you jump from that window, you will break your leg and do yourself harm.
- do well
  I studied very hard and did well in the exam.
- do badly
  I didn't study hard and did very badly in the test.
- do homework
  I do my homework every day after I come back home from school.
- do business
  I travel overseas on business. I do business with different companies in China.
- do the shopping
  I don't have work on the weekend. I do the shopping every Saturday.
- do someone a favour
  My friend asked me to give him $1000 because he needed it. I gave him the money. I did him a favour.