Saturday 4 December 2010

Embedded Questions

When you speak English with someone else, you normally ask questions or give answers. It takes a lot of time and practice to learn to make questions correctly. 


Quite often you need to use some words before you ask the question to show that you are polite in your conversation. We call this an embedded question or an indirect question. Have a look at this example: 


What is your name? 
Can you tell me ........................
Can you tell me what your name is? 
Could you tell me .............................
Could you tell me what your name is? 


You use "Can you tell me ..........." or "Could you tell me ........." when you want to show that you are polite in your conversation. Maybe you are talking to your manager or boss at work and not your friend. Here are some more examples. 


What platform does the train to Box Hill depart from? 
Do you know ..............................
Do you know what platform the train to Box Hill departs from? 


Who will teach our class next term? 
I want to know who will teach our class next term. 
I wish to find out who will teach our class next term. 


Where can I buy a good present for my friend? 
I need to know where I can buy a good present for my friend. 
Can you tell me where I can buy a good present for my friend? 


Who is your teacher? 
Can you tell me who your teacher is? 


Where have I left my car key? 
Do you have any idea where I have left my car key? 
I can't remember where I have left my car key. 


Yes?No Questions
We use some words when we ask questions that can be answered by saying yes or no like: 
am - is - are - was - were 
can - could - will -would - shall - should - may - might
have - has -had

With these questions, we can use if or whether


Are you coming back to the office after 1 pm? 
Please tell me if you are coming back to the office after 1 pm. 


the same thing can be used in reported speech (when you tell someone what someone else told you before).
She wanted to know .....................
She wanted to know if I was coming back to the office after 1 pm. 
She wanted to know whether I was coming back to the office after 1 pm.  


Are you in Ibrahim's class? 
I wonder if you are in Ibrahim's class.
You didn't tell me you were in Ibrahim's class. 
I would like to know if you are in Ibrahim's class.
Just tell me if you are in Ibrahim's class.


Can you drive a car? 
I would like to know if you can drive a car. 
I wonder whether you can drive a car. 


Will you come to the party? 
I have forgotten if you are coming to the party. 
I can't remember whether you are coming to the party. 
I have no idea if you are coming to the party. 


Here are two links to  pages on the internet where you can do some exercises on your own. 
http://www.thunderbay.org/upload/documents/embeddedQs1.pdf

http://www.onestopenglish.com/community/lesson-share/pdf-content/grammar/grammar-embedded-question-drill-lesson-plan/147578.article