Tuesday 30 November 2010

510 Hours of English at AMES

Good morning. Welcome to AMES Box Hill. Can I help you?

Yes, please. My name is Li. I am a new immigrant and I would like to study English here.

That’s fine. Do you have your passport with you so I can have a look at your visa?

Sure. I have it in my bag. Just give me one moment, please.

Not a problem.

Here you are. This is my passport from China. It has got my picture and my visa on it.

I see. Give me one moment, please. I need to check your visa number first to see if you are eligible to get English classes. Oh, yes. You are.

I paid three thousand dollars in China to have English classes in Australia as part of my visa application.

I see. Now we need to arrange for you to have an interview first.

Why do I need to go through an interview? I am not applying for a job.

Well, the interview will decide which class you will go to. It will also give you some information about the course you will study.

Oh, I see. When can I have my interview then?

Well, give me one moment, please. You can have your interview tomorrow. How does this sound?

This sounds good. What time do you want me to come for my interview?

Can you come at 9.45 in the morning, please?

Sure thing. Will I have my interview with you?

No, I only work in the office. You will have your interview with one of the teachers here.

What will happen after the interview?

After the interview you will be asked to attend an orientation session.

Why do I need to attend an orientation session?

All new students need to attend an orientation session before starting their courses. This is how things are done here.

Oh, I see. And what will they tell me in the orientation session?

They will provide you with information about the course. There will be some interpreters to help students who don’t speak English well understand what the course is all about. You will get some sheets that have some information about the course in your own language as well.

What do I need to do when I get these sheets?

You will need to read the sheets and if you have any questions, you can ask the teacher to explain things for you.

Can I stop my course at any time if I need to travel back to China?

Well, this is a very good question. You can stop your class if you need to but you will need to wait some time until we arrange for you to come back to study. You can't stop your class and come after one week to study again. You also need to give us a two-week notice before you stop your class because we have to inform the childcare centre if you have a child that goes there. It used to be easy before but not any more.

Do I need to ring my teacher if I skip class for one day?

If you don't come to class for one day, it's nice to ring the office and let us know that you're not coming. We will inform the teacher then.

How many hours will I be studying here?

You will be studying 510 hours. If you decide to study full time, you will come to class four hours five times a week. This is about six months of English study at our school.

What countries do the students come from?

We have students from all over the world. We also have a big number of Chinese students here in Box Hill. I am sure you will not feel homesick.

And what will happen after I finish my 510 hours of English study?

Well, depending on some students’ visas, they can get extra hours if their English is not good enough or they can go and study at TAFE or university. Most of our students look for work after they finish their English courses here.

Will you teach me how to write a resume and a cover letter to help me find work?

Resume and cover letter writing is always done in certificate III. Students get a lot of training to help them find work. This is what we try to help our students with.

Oh, I see. And what can I do if I have a problem in my class?

Well, you can speak to the teacher first.

Can’t I go to the manager directly?

No, it’s better to speak to the teacher first if you have any problem. If you are not happy with what the teacher says, you can go and see the manager. Please don’t go to see the manager before talking to your teacher first.

I see. Are there any books that I need to buy to do my course?

Well, the teacher will photocopy worksheets for you every time you come here. There are some books he or she can recommend to buy but you don’t need to. It is not like studying in your country.

Will my teacher be a native speaker?

It depends what class you will go to. We have teachers who are native speakers and we also have teachers who were not born in Australia but they speak English very well. I am sorry I can't give you an definit answer now.

Oh, I see. Do you arrange for childcare?

Yes, if you have children under 5 years of age, we can arrange for them to be sent to a childcare centre while you come to study. We can arrange that for you if you want. You will only need to fill in a form and we can ring the childcare centre to book a place for your child or children. You don’t pay any money for this but we do. AMES pays a lot of money to arrange childcare for our students. It is important that you come to class when your child goes to childcare. How many children do you have?

I’ve got only one child. Can I have the form to arrange for her to go to a childcare centre?

Sure thing. Here you are. You will also need to come to class every day. This will help you learn English fast. You also need to do some work on your own at home. The teacher will give you some web sites to go to in order to improve your English.   Anything else that I can help you with?
  
No, that’s all. You’ve been very helpful. Thanks very much.