Saturday 20 November 2010

Buying a Business


Good morning. Perfect Cuppa Coffee Shop. John speaking.
Oh, good morning, John. My name is Lee and I am a Chinese businessman. I read on the internet that your coffee shop is for sale.
Yes, that’s right. How can I help you?
Well I would like to get some information about the business. I want to set up a business in Australia. I am sorry I don't speak English very well.
Oh, I can understand you perfectly. Your English is quite good. What would you like to know?
Where is your coffee shop?
It is in the city in Collins Street. Do you know where Collins Street is?
Oh, yes. I’ve been to the city many times. I know Collins Street quite well. How many seats are there in your coffee shop?
We have 40 seats. Our coffee shop is quite big and we are very busy during lunch time.
In what condition is the coffee shop?
It is in perfect condition. We only started the business two years ago. You won’t need to spend a dollar.
What about the lease? How long is it for?
Oh, we have a lease contract for five years.
Can you tell me how much the rent is?
It is $1700 per week. You know rent is expensive for prime locations in the city.
Oh, I see. What is your asking price?
Our asking price is $500,000. You need to come for a visit to see the coffee shop for yourself.
Oh, I will do that but I still need to get more information first.
What would you like to know?
Can you tell me about the taking?
The taking is $9000 per week.
And how many workers do you employ?
We have six people working at the moment doing morning and afternoon shifts.
And can I keep the workers after I buy the business?
I am sure they will be happy to stay on. I am selling the coffee shop because I am moving to Sydney. I will work with my brother. He has got a restaurant there and he needs me to work with him. His business is rapidly growing.
I see. When can I come to have a look?
You can come early in the morning or after lunch time. We are extremely busy during lunch time and I am afraid I can’t help you then.
Oh, I see. How about ten o’clock tomorrow?
Sounds OK to me. I will get some paperwork with me for you to have a look at then I can answer any question you have in mind. It will be a good chance for you to taste our coffee.
Thanks very much. Can you give me the address, please?
It’s 456 Collins Street. Are you coming by car or using public transport?
I’ve got a car. My wife will come with me to have a look too.
Just be careful when you park your car because it is such a busy area and people can easily get booked for leaving their cars longer than the allowed time.
Oh, I will park at one of the car parks in Flinders Street then I will come on foot.
Sounds perfect. OK. I will see you tomorrow at ten o’clock.
I am really looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for your time.
Any time. Bye.