Wednesday 24 February 2010

Car Towing

Good afternoon. Melbourne City Council. Sarah speaking. How can I help you?
Oh, good morning. My name is Tom Smith.
What can I do for you, Mr Smith?
I parked my car in the city and went to buy something from a shop. When I came back to the car I couldn’t find it. Some people told me it was towed away and I needed to talk to the council.
I see. Now what is your car registration number, please?
It’s UJT 184.
Just give me one moment, Mr Smith. I will see what I can do for you.
Thank you very much.
Mr Smith your car was towed away by council because it was parked in a clearway area at 4.40. I am sorry to say that you have been issued with a parking infringement notice.
A parking infringement notice? Sorry. I don’t understand.
This means that you will have to pay a fine. A parking infringement notice means a parking fine.
Oh, I didn’t know it was a clearway area. I am sorry. Can you do something about the fine? I don’t want to pay any fines, please.
I am sorry. There is nothing I can do about it. Misreading the sign will not exempt you from paying the parking fine.
Oh, I see. Now I need to get my car back.
You will need to go to the Impound Yard in Collingwood. Your car has been taken there. There is a telephone number if you would like to call them.
Yes, can you give me the telephone number, please?
It’s 9621 1525. They open Monday to Friday, 6.30 am to 9 pm. They also open on Saturday from 8 am to 1 pm. They don’t open on Sundays.
I see.
I would suggest you go there as soon as possible.
What can happen if I don’t go soon?
They can start charging you money after 48 hours. If you don’t collect your car from the yard within 10 days, it will be towed to an auction yard in Dandenong.
Oh, I don’t want my car to be sold in an auction. I will go straight away.
When you go there you must pay your parking fine.
What does this mean?
You can’t take the car unless you pay the fine first.
And how much is the penalty?
First you need to pay a $117 parking infringement for parking in a clearway zone.
Is that all?
No, that is not all. You also need to pay $314 towing release fee.
Oh, this is a rip off.
I am sorry, Mr Smith. There is nothing I can do to help you. I understand what you are going through.
My car is not worth $500 and you want me to pay all this money. I will not pay.
In this case they will send your car to Dandenong and you will have to pay an additional $314 if you want to collect it from there.
Oh, dear! What can I do now?
I strongly advise you to go now to the Impound Yard in Collingwood and collect your car. It will save you a lot of trouble. If you are not happy with the parking fine, you can ask to have a payment plan.
What do you mean? I don’t understand.
You don’t have to pay all the money at once. You can pay the money over a few weeks.
I need the car now. I must pay the money but I am not happy.
I am so sorry, Mr Smith.
That’s fine. Bye.
Bye.