Thursday 18 February 2010

Driving Licence

Good morning. VicRoads. Samantha Speaking. How can I help you?
Oh, good morning, Samantha. My name is Alan Roger.
What can I do for you, Mr Roger?
I would like to apply for a licence, please.
What sort of license do you want to apply for?
I would like to apply for a car license.
Sure thing. You can come to our office and fill in a form.
Can I do it online instead of coming to your office?
You can download the car license application form from our web site but you will need to send it to us in the mail.
Oh, I see. Can you tell me what sort of questions there are in the form?
Oh, some general questions like name, address, contact numbers and so on.
Is that all?
No, there are more specific questions that you need to answer.
Like what?
Give me one moment and I will be able to tell you some of the questions in the form, please.
Not a problem.
OK. Here we go. Now do you suffer from any eyesight or hearing defect?
No, I don’t. My eyesight is good. My hearing is good too.
Great. Now are you taking any drugs or prescribed medications?
Sorry. I don’t understand.
Does your doctor ask you to take medicine?
No, I am perfectly fine. I haven’t been to the doctor for over a year.
Are you diabetic? Do you suffer from any illnesses?
No, I am not diabetic. I can eat what I like. I don’t have any health concerns.
Great. Are you recorded with VicRoads?
No, I am not recorded with VicRoads. This is the first time to apply for a licence.
Have you held an overseas driving licence before?
No, I haven’t. I have never been outside Australia.
Ok, Mr Roger. You need to apply for a learner permit first. You can get the form from our web site if you like. Make sure you sign the form and then you can pay the fees.
How soon can I apply for the learner permit?
You can come now if you like. We can give you a form here and you can pay the money today.
What will happen after that?
You need to study a book. It is called “The Road to Solo Driving”.
Where can I get this book?
You can buy it here. We have it in 20 major languages. You can also buy it at the newsagent’s. When you finish the book you can come here for a test at VicRoads. If you pass the test, you will be able to start learning to drive a car. A fully licensed person has to sit next to you at all times when you drive. You have to display an “L” license when you drive.
Great. When can I get my full licence?
You will need to set for another test on a computer and a driving test. If you pass them both, you will get a “P” licence. It takes time as you see.
Good. I think I understand every thing now. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Not a problem, Mr Roger. Is there any thing else you would like to ask?
No, that’s all. Thanks very much.
You’re welcome. Have a nice day.
You too. Bye.
Bye.