Tuesday 2 March 2010

Buying a Car

I want to buy a new car. My car is 9 years old now and it is small. My children are growing up and they nag me every day to buy a bigger car. I don’t want to buy a new car. My small car is good enough for me. It's easy to park and does not cost me much on petrol. My children put me under pressure to buy a new car. I don’t have a machine to print money at home. What can I do? I know that there are many good things about buying a new car. There are bad things too. I have to consider every thing before I go to the car yard to buy my next car.

When you go to a car dealer, you test drive the car you like, sing some papers, pay a deposit and take the car and go. You can bargain (ask to pay a smaller amount) if you want. This seems easy but it is not.

Small cars are not suitable for families. They are only good enough for single people or married couples with no children. When you buy a new car, you always think about your family and your budget.

New cars are not cheap. They cost a lot of money. There is additional money that you have to pay for insurance and registration every year. If you don’t pay for insurance, your car can get stolen and you end up losing your money.

Car service costs a lot of money. If you get your car serviced by the dealer, it will cost you a lot. If you go to a local mechanic, he can charge you for work that you are not sure was done on your car. This is a nightmare.

Petrol price changes every day. People who travel a lot spend a lot of money on petrol every week. The only way to spend less money on petrol is to drive less.

You pay more money to have an air conditioner in the car. If you want to pay less, choose a car that does not have an air conditioner.

When you buy a car, you want to use it for as many years as you can. You don’t want your car to give you a hard time after a few years. You want to buy a reliable car. That is when you have to pay a lot of money to buy a car from a good company. Japanese cars are good but they cost a lot. Toyota is the best. It gives you peace of mind.

People who can’t afford to pay the whole price of a new car can buy it in installment. This means they pay some money every month for some time. The bad thing about this is that a car costs more money.

Now let’s talk about the disadvantages of owning a car. Driving lessons cost a lot of money. You need to have many lessons before you can start to drive. Cars cost a lot of money to run and service. Cars are not easy to park in some areas in Melbourne. In the city people pay $10 an hour to park their cars for one hour.

They give out smoke. Smoke pollutes the air. Cars cause pollution. You can get a fine if you park your car in the wrong place. Speed fines are expensive in Australia. You can get your car stolen. A big number of cars get stolen in Victoria every year.

Some families need more than one car. The children can ask to have their own cars too. This makes it worse. No place to park these cars. Cars can break down sometimes and it can cost you a lot of money to have your car repaired.