Wednesday 3 March 2010

Setting Up a Business

Good afternoon. Victoria Market. Sam speaking. How can I help you?
Good afternoon, Sam. My name is Greg Norman.
What can I do for your, Mr Norman?
I want to get some information on how to start a business at Victoria Market, please.
What would you like to sell, Mr Norman?
I want to sell picture frames. I make them at home myself.
Well, first of all you need to apply for a licence. You need to fill in an application form.
How can I get this form?
You can download it from our web site or we can send one out to you in the mail.
I see. What else do I need to know?
After you submit your application you need to attend an interview and show us samples of the products you intend to sell at the market. You can send your application by mail or fax it to us if you like. We also need to know if you have had any business experience.
I haven’t had a chance to run a business before. I’ve just finished my TAFE studies. This is the first time for me.
Not a problem. If you don’t have any business experience, we can look at other things like your education and how good your products are. If we think your picture frames are good enough, we will send you a letter telling you when you can start. You then have to pay rent for your stall.
How much is the rent?
It costs $20.90 for a single stall on Tuesdays and Thursdays, $23 on Friday, $40 on Saturday and 53 dollars on Sundays. As you can see, we charge more money at weekends. We are open 5 days a week.
I will be using a truck to transport my picture frames to the market. Will this be a problem?
No. You just need to make sure to park your truck within the lines behind your stall. If you don’t do so, you will get a parking fine.
I need to know how long I can sell my picture frames for at the market?
You need to tell us how long you need a licence for. People can have a licence for 6 years,3 years or they can go month to month. It is really up to you.
Is there any thing else I need to know?
Yes, we will need a copy of your qualifications, your passport and photographs of the products you intend to sell when you send your application to us. Is there any thing else you need to know, Mr Norman?
No, that’s it. Thanks for your help. Bye.
Bye.