Monday 29 March 2010

Diabetes

Good morning, Mr Dean. Please take a seat.
Thanks, Dr Smith.
Well, I’ve asked you to do two blood tests and I can tell you that it doesn’t look as good as I was hoping for.
What’s wrong, doctor?
You told me last week that you felt thirsty and tired. You also told me that you woke up a few times at night  to go to the toilet to wee.  After looking at the blood tests results, I’m sorry to tell you that you are diabetic, Mr Dean. Your pancreas does not produce enough insulin.
Oh, dear. I felt there was something wrong with me for some time and I thought about it. Now what do I have to do?
Well, there are many things you can do. I will give you a booklet to read about diabetes and it’s very important to follow the instructions in the book regarding eating.
I still don't understand how I got it.
It is very hard to explain how people normally get diabetes. This may be due to the gene that they get from their parents. It may also be because of the immune system in the body. Some obese people are at risk of getting diabetes more than others. Even young children can suffer from diabetes.
Can I get rid or diabetes, doctor?
No, I’m afraid you can’t. There is no cure for diabetes but you can control it with medicine and going on a special diet. You are not allowed to eat any food that has plenty of sugar in it. If you do, it will make you really sick.
Will I need to take any medicine, doctor?
Yes, I will write a prescription for you to take to the pharmacy. I just don’t want you to panic. There are millions of people who have diabetes. They just learn how to change their life style.
I see, doctor.
You will also need to take injections to control your insulin level.
When do I need to take these injections?
Around meal times. I need you to learn how to measure the blood sugar level every day. Maybe more than once a day. I will show you how to give yourself insulin injections using a special insulin pen.
How do I measure my blood sugar level?
There is a small machine that you’ll have to buy from the pharmacy. The instructions are very easy to follow. You need to get only one drop of your blood and put it on a strip. The machine will then give you a reading of your blood sugar level. You may then need an injection or not depending on the reading from the machine.
Is this machine expensive to buy?
No, it’s about $70. The most important thing is to watch what you eat from now on. You may feel thirsty or have a headache. This is all because of diabetes. Now tell me, Mr Dean. Do you exercise at all?
No, I don’t. I haven’t done any exercises for a long time.
Well, it’s about time you started. Exercising helps you keep healthy and in shape. You need to use canola oil or olive oil in your cooking. A good diet that contains whole grains is good for you.
Are there any foods that I need to cut back on?
Yes, you need to cut back on sugary drinks like Coca Cola and Pepsi. Don’t eat a lot of rice or pasta.
Is there any medical check that I need to have? 
Yes, you need to have your eyes checked regularly because diabetes can affect vision as people get older.