Tuesday 6 October 2009

Culture Shock - 1


 When I came to Australia I saw many things that were entirely different compared to India. One day I went to the supermarket and there I saw frozen seafood and meat. On seeing that, I was shocked. In our country our elders told us that we should use fresh meat only. But here in Australia you can buy food that is frozen.
My second culture shock was to see that most Aussie women smoke cigarettes and consume alcohol. In my country most women never drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.
Here, the Aussie culture is a Western one. Wherever we go around, we see young people hugging and kissing in public places. We never do this in India. This was a big culture shock for me.
Young school students also do not respect the teachers. It is wonder for me. In our country students respect teachers and consider them equal to God. Students never call them by their name. This is a different culture for me and it made me feel shocked.
The traffic system in Australia is very orderly. Traffic signals in the streets are controlled automatically. I was surprised to see this modern technology. In our country at each and every intersection there are  policemen who direct the signal by hand.
I noticed that most teenage girls wear short skirts and not much clothes to cover their bodies.
Here in Australia people eat lot of pork and beef in their daily life even though they know that it is not good for their health.
These are some of the things which made me shocked when I came to Australia.
Written by student Mythily from India