Thursday 8 October 2009

Culture Shock - 6


 My name is Sneha Bhavsar  and I come from India. I arrived in Australia last year. Melbourne is a beautiful city. In my first few days I saw more car than people in the street. In India the streets are busy and it is a nightmare to park your car in big cities. People in India use motorbikes and smaller cars. Parking in India for cars is free but it can cost a lot of money in Australia especially if you get a fine.
I got shocked to see boys and girls kissing each other in public. I also saw girls wearing  skirts that were too short. In addition to that girls and boys in Australia have more than one relationship.
The culture I came from is conservative and does not allow kissing in public. Also the girls and boys look for one relationship. In my culture children live with the parents and families even after they grow up and get married. In Australia I saw most of them leave their parents and live separately with their partners or spouses. In my culture there are lots of traditions that are based on religion or professions. In Australia people  really don’t care about these things.
Drinking and smoking are quite common in the Australian culture. In my culture drinking and smoking are prohibited but the people who follow the Western culture mainly do so in cities. Also the people in India have more religious beliefs compared to here in Australia. People in Australia visit churches once a year.
In India I used to know all my neighbours by name and talk to them. In Australia people who live next door don't talk much to each other.
In India we add a lot of spices to food but in Australia the local food does not contain many spices and is bland. In India you only eat Indian food but in Australia you can see food from different cultures.