Friday 23 October 2009

Final Presentation Test Information - VU Students

To those who are going to have to give a presentation on Friday, this information is vital. Your presentation will go for ten minutes. You have to work in pairs and you can choose your friend this time.  Make sure you tell your audience who you will be talking about. The first student will do the introduction and state the parts of the presentation. Then this person will introduce their colleague. The second student will have to give more information and then do the finishing. By finishing I mean thanking the audience and offering to answer any questions they may have.
The best thing about this test is that you can choose any person to talk about. You don't have to do Opera this time. If you have any questions, email me.
I will be timing you and going through a sheet. I will not give you your results but I will write a short report about your performance.
If you read from a paper, you will NOT pass my test.
You have to do a Powerpoint slide show. This will help you get organized. Get the pictures you want and the text has to be in points (Not paragraphs).
You are expected to look at the slide show to remind yourself of what to say and not to read it word by word.
I will be looking at the way you give information, your correct English and the parts of your presentation.
Get yourself ready from now and I will post the reader that I told you about in class this weekend. I want you to read it and do the online questions. This will help your English.
Your next course will not be as easy. You will be doing more English. This is why you have to be at a certain level to pass my test.
Always go to cdlponline.org and do more lessons from there. This is good enough for your English for now. There are more difficult web sites you can work from but not for now.
There are many videos on the net on how to give an effective presentation. You can watch some of them. There are books on how to give a presentation in the library. You can also find information online on how to give a presentation. You don't need to do a big slide show. A simple one will do for now. I am not interested in your computer skills at this stage. I am more interested in your ability to speak English.
The readings in the book on Obama and Opera and other characters will help you to learn how to sort out the information you have about the person you will talk about.
Good Luck with your presentation.