Wednesday 7 October 2009

Culture Shock - 4

I came to Australia more then one year ago. I came with my whole family- my husband and two sons. We were so happy and settled in Doncaster. My sons were so excited to start school at Doncaster Primary School. My husband was very lucky to get a job immediately after we arrived. I am presently a housewife and am studying English at AMES in Box Hill. I wish that I can improve my English and also hopefully to get a better job in Australia in the near future.
We are from Chinese culture, we soldom speak English at home. So when I came over to Australia, I struggled to speak English. I couldn't catch up slang English.
Communication from my former country are directly person to person but in Australia we use email, by phone and SMS are acceptable in Australia culture.
Another thing that shock me was the weather in Melbourne that keeps changing most of the time.
The weather in Melbourne is always dry because there is hardly any rainfall. Everyone is responsible for saving water in Melbourne. In my former country that is no worry about water rationing althought the wather is hot, from 30 - 36 degrees.
As years go by, I hope I can adapt the Australia culture. In this multicultural country we should accept and respect other cultures.
Text by student Hor Man Kim