Wednesday 7 October 2009

Culture Shock - 3

One Monday in August I made an appointment at hospital. The receptionist said that I could see the doctor at 2 pm the following Friday. That Friday I took a day off from work and went to the hospital in time but that receptionist said I was wrong. She told me that the appointment was for the following Friday. Oh my God! I could not believe that I would have to wait such a long time. If I were in China, I could see doctor everyday and never need to make any appointments. So I asked the lady, ‘can I see the doctor today because I have no time? I have to work from Monday to Friday’. She said ‘Sorry the doctor will go. He has finished all his appointment for the day".Anyway, in China giving message is a kind of job which is as respectful as a doctor job but it’s different in Australia.
In China, we drive on the right side of the road. It is the opposite to Australia. I didn't like driving when I was in China because it was easy to travel everywhere by bus or taxi. All I had to do was to just wave to the minibuses or taxis and they will stop in front of me but it’s different in Australia. If you don’t have a car, you can't go anywhere.
In China people like to do everything as quickly as they can. People don’t like waiting to be served and would complain if they had to wait for a long time. But in Australia people think waiting is kind of behavior to show their manner. While they ate waiting for doctors or hirdressers, they can read books or listen to the music.
Text by student Lifang