Friday 9 October 2009

Culture Shock - 10

My name is Paw Mu Khai. I come from Burma and Thailand board. I lived in a refugee camp for many years before coming to Australia. I have never been to the a big city or town when I was in the refugee camp, so it was the first time for me to be in the big city when I came Melbourne.

It was not only one cultural shock for me but I felt like everything made me feel shocked. When I leaved in refugee camp I never saw the bus ,the train and the ariplane . In the camp we only travel to work around the camp. Iit was new for me to have an airline travel ticket. I also needed to buy a ticket to use a bus or a train. This was new to me.
In the refugee camp we never had big buildings like the ones in Australia. This was very surprising and amazing for me. I never used to have electricity like here. We only used only candles and oil lamps. I also didn’t use to cook on a gas stove at my kitchen either. so it was gave me a very big shock to use an equipment like this.
In the refugee camp we used only stoves that used firewood. So it very difficult for me to cook with gas stove. It was my first experience in a new country.